Friday, November 15, 2002

Stephen Chobsky. The Perks of Being a Wallflower. MTV Books, 1999.

Recommended Age Range: 13 and up

Plot Summary: Charles is a high school wallflower. At the urging of a special teacher, he tries to come out of his shell and learns more about himself than he ever expected.

Evaluation of Reader Appeal: This book would appeal the high school students, especially those just starting out. It deals with the problems of adjusting to high school that everyone experiences. It also deals with drug and alcohol use and sex in a realistic manner.

Evaluation of Literary Merit: I really liked this book. I think that the style of anonymous letters really works well for the narrative. By telling the story in chunks it made me want to keep reading. I could really relate to Charles and his problems because I have gone through similar experiences. I wished the book would never end because I felt I had really gotten to know the characters, not just the narrator, and wanted to see where they ended up.

No comments: